Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Test Paper

119. Which of the following places a.re favourably influenced by the West­erlies?
I. New Zealand n. Guiana
nI. South Chile IV. Florida
(a) I and nI (b) II and IV
(c) nI and IV (d) I and IV
120. Which of the following statements are true with regard to tropical monsoon climate?
I. Temperatures range from 320 C in the hot season to about
150 C in the cool season
n. Annual rainfall varies greatly nI. The climate is best developed
in the southern continents
IV. It consists of three main sea­
sons, i.e., cool, dry season; hot,
dry season; hot, wet season
(a) I and IV
(b) II, nI and IV
(c) II and nI
(d) I, II and IV
121. Match the following.
A. Equatorial 1. Sudan
climate
B. Tropical
continental
climate
C. Mediterranean 3. Singapore
climate
O. Tundra climate 4. Australia
5. Central
Chile
(a) A-3, B-1, C-5, D-2 (b) A-I, B-2, C-3, D-4 (c) A-3, B-4, C-5, ])..1 (d) A-4, B-2, C-l, 0-3
122. What do you understand by the
term 'Roaring Forties'?
(a) Major current of the Atlantic
Ocean
(b) Biggest waterfall in the world (c) The westerly winds
(d) A dangerous river of China
'123. Atmosphere with excess of carbon dioxide as a result of pollution could result in
(a) fall in temperature
(b) rise in temperature
(c) no change of temperature (d) excess of ultraviolet rays reach­
ing the earth
124. Which of the following are pre­
dominantly seasonal winds?
(a) Monsoon winds
(b) Prevailing winds
(c) Descending winds
(d) Cyclonic winds
2. Greenland
125. Fogs fonned along the sea coast
are due to
(a) Advection
(b) R4\diation
(c) Convection
(d) Conduction
126. The soil material is.main1y derived
from
(a) metamorphic rocks
(b) sedimentary rocks
(c) igneous rocks
(d) biological action
127. Aerating the soil is usually done
~y
(a) Mesofauna
(b) Microfauna
(c) Macrofauna
- (d) all of the above
128. Arrange the following soil par­
ticles by size . in the descending
order
I. Gravel
nI. Silt
(a) I, II, nI, IV
(c) I, IV, nI, II
n. Clay IV. Sand
(b) IV, III, II, I (d) III, IV, I, II
129. Minimum humus is to be found in (a) chernozem
(b)podzol
(c) chestnut soil
(d) laterite soil
130. In which of the following ways can
soil be conserved?
I. Contour ploughing
II. Terracing
nI. Shifting cultivation
IV. Crop rotation
(a) I, II and IV
(b) II, III and IV
(c) II and IV
(d) I and IU
131. Which one of the following state­
ments are true with regard to soils?
I. Terra Rosa soils form under
semi-arid conditions.
II. A laterite can form from any
type of rock. .
III. Hardpan is a layer of hard
deposits which occurs in the
lower layers of some soils.
IV. Peat soils develop best under
hot arid climatic conditions. (a) I and II
(b) I, II and III
(c) II and IV'
(d) II, III and IV
World Geography 273
132. Match the following.
A. Chernozems 1. Rich in cal­
.;~..i.. ':cu~m­
ate
2. Contains alu­
minium com­
pound
3. Richest soils
in the world
D. Terra Rosa 4. Formed ilf
limestone
E. Alluvial soil 5. It is a mixture
of clay, sand
and silt
(a) A-I, B-2, C-3, 0-4, E-5 (b) A-3, B-1, C-2, 0-4, E-5 (c) A-4, B-5, C-3, ]),,1, E-2 (d) A-3, 8-4, C-S, ]),,2, E-l
133. What do you understand by the word regur?
(a) Black soil found in the Deccan (b) Grey-brown soil found in Rus­
sia
(c) Red colour sticky soil found in
the Amazon area
(d) Black soil found in northern
Argentina
134. Loess is soil.
(a) wind-deposited
(b) water-deposited
(c) volcanic
(d) black cotton
135. The formation of laterite soil is mainly due to
(a) weathering
(b) erosion
(c) leaching
(d) deposition
136. Which of the following are the components of loamy soils?
I. Red soil II. Clay soil III. Alluvial soil IV. Silt soil V. Sandy Soil
(a) I and II
(b) I, III and IV
(c) II and V
(d) II, III and V
137. Soil can best be conserved on the hills by which of the following cultivating methods?
(a) Strip cropping
(b) Crop rotation
(c) Contour ploughing
(d) Terracing
138. Which of the following is not a tropical type of soil?
(a) Red soil (b) Desert soil
(c) Black soil (d) Brown soil
B. Black soil
C. Laterite

No comments:

Post a Comment