Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Practice Paper Set

77. Which of the following is wrongly
matched?
(a) Benguela Current: cold (b) Humboldt Current: cold (c) Kamchatka Current - : warm
(d) Kuro Siwo : warm
78. Which of the following is the annual precipitation of an area? (a) All forms of precipitation
converted to the quantity of liquid water
(b) The total actual amount of rain,
snow, hail and sleet
(c) .The total amount of rain per
year, irrespective of snow, hail
and sleet
(d) All forms of precipitation mea­
sure after conversion to equal
quantity of ice
79. Which of the following connects
the ocean floor level with the con­
tinental level
(a) Continental slope
(b) Continental shelf
(c) Epicontinental sea
(d) Sea shelf
80. Which of the following are true with regard to igneous rocks?
1. They are formed inside the
earth, under great pressure II. They do not occur in layers III. They are mostly crystalline in
nature
IV. They contain fossils
(a) I, II and III
(b) II, III and IV
(c) II and III
(d) I and :',
81. Match the following.
Types Rocks
A. Granite 1. Igneous
B. Clay 2. Sedimentary
C. Slate 3. Metamorphic
D. Sandstone
(a) A-I, B-2, C-3, D-2 (b) A-2, B-2, C-3, D-l (c) A-I, B-2, C-2, D-3 (d) A-3, B-1, C-l, D-2
82. Match the following:
A. Composed of 1. Breccia
microscopically
fine particles
B. Composed of
particles not
so fine
C, Composed of
rounded and
large particles
D. Composed of
coarse and
angular particles.
5. Gravel.
2. Clay
3. Silt
4. Sand
(a) A-2, B-4, C-l, D-5 (b) A-2, .B-3, C-5, D-l (c) A-2, B-3, C-4, D-l (d) A-I, B-2, C-3, D-4
83. Which of the following are true with respect to sedimentary rocks? I. The rocks are deposited in
layers.
II. The particles of rock are at
times wholly oforgaI}ic
nature.
IiI. The rocks are not crystalline.
IV. Their structure is determined
by great pressure or heat.
(a) I, II and III (b) II and III
(c) I and IV (d) I and II
84. Which of the following is a typical
feature of volcanic eruption?
(a) Horsts (b) Dykes
(c) Basin (d) Drumlin
85. Which of the following is not an
agent which produces physical fea­
tures?
(a) Denudation
(b) Deposition
(c) Volcanic eruption
(d) Conduction
86. Who gave the idea that originally there was only one continent called Pangea? .
,(a) Wegener (b) Marshall
(c) Darwin (d) Ptolemy
87. Which of the following are true
with regard to fold mountains?
I. They often act as climatic bar­
riers.
II. They receive heavy rain or
snow which give rise to rivers.
III. They are rich in minerals.
IV. They pose no problem to com­
munication as they contain
many passes.
(a) I and II
(b) III and IV
(c) I, II and III
(d) I, III and IV
88. Which of the following are true
with respect to fold mountains?
I. Their tops are often buried
beneath snow and ice.
II. They form rugged peaks. .
III. They are caused by contrac­
tion of the earth's crust.
IV. They contain a core composed
of metamorphic and igneous
rocks.
(a) I, III and IV
(b) II, III and IV
(c) I and II
(d) I and IV
World Geography
271
89. Formation of a rift valley is due to
(a) the formation of fold moun­
tains
(b) the forces of tension in the
earth's.crust
(c) the subsidence of the floor of
a river valley
(d) the over-deepening of a valley
by ice action
90. Which of the following features
are products of vulcanicity?
I. Atoll II. Caldera
III. Batholith IV. Geosyncline (a) I, II and III
(b) I and IV
(c) II and III
(d) I, III and IV
91. Which of the following features may occur when lava cools at the surface?
(a) Batholith (b) Laccolith
(c) Basalt plateau (d) Sill
92. What is the difference between a
geyser an,d a hot spring?
(a) Water is ejected explosively in
a geyser
(b) Water from the geyser may be
cold
(c) Geysers are found on volcanic
mountains
(d) Geysers are more common in
cold countries
93. Formation of magma along the
bedding plar-e results in
(a) Sill (b) Dykes
(c) Basalt (d) Laccolith
94. The features produced by glacial
deposition are
1. outwash plains
2. drumlins
3. eskers
4. levees
(a) 1, 2, 3 (b) 1, 3, 4
(c) 2, 3, 1 (d) 1, 2, 3, 4
95. The theory of continental drift is
supported by
I. similarities between the coast­
lines of South America and
Africa
II. the similarly of rocks of Cen­
tral Africa, southern India,
Brazil and Australia
III. evidence of fossils
IV. survival of marsupials in Aus­
tralia
(a) I and II
(b) I, II and III
(c) II, III and-IV
(d) I, II, III and IV

No comments:

Post a Comment